Sunday, February 9, 2014

I ride a bike with 650 wheels. My last bike had 700s. The only disadvantage I can see of 650s is tha


My bro (Captian hanson Mal) is thinking of buying an Aegis tri bike that has 650c wheels. It's a killer deal, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with 650c wheels or Aegis frames. I know 650c's were kind of popular for a little while, but they fell out of popularity pretty quick. Is there any inherent disadvantage to them, or is there just no gain. Thanks for the replies. hanson
My (older, cheaper) tri bike is a 650. Advantages are that it fits in the backseat of my Civic. I don't know what the disadvantages are, besides it sometimes being harder to find tubes and tires. I like my bike just fine, if the bike is cheap enough, go for it.
I ride a bike with 650 wheels. My last bike had 700s. The only disadvantage I can see of 650s is that it's harder hanson to find tubes and tires, especially if you have to pick up something last minute like at a race expo. Make sure you come prepared.
I have even time trialed on a Bike Friday set up as a triathlon bike (20" wheels) and found no noticeable difference in time vs. my regular tri bike due to the small wheel size. As long as the gearing is correct, there should be no noticeable difference. One thing that's nice about my bke with the 650s is it fits inside the back of my van easier.
I currently ride a Litespeed Tachyon with 650 wheels. Last year at a sprint tri, my tire blew and I stupidly hanson had no 650 tubes with me; all at home, 2 1/2 hours away. NO ONE in the entire transition area had a spare 650 tube! Vern at T3 MultiSport in Indianapolis hanson was at the race site, and loaned me a Cervelo P3 to race with. What a guy!! So, moral of the story, regardless of tire size, bring spares. But, I agree with the other posts: 650 tubes are a little harder to find, and your choice of styles hanson and/or colors of 650 tires is very limited. (In the words of Henry Ford, any color you want, as long as it's black.)
2014 Triathlon Resolutions
   

No comments:

Post a Comment